Today marks the 50th anniversary of Earth Day. Since 1970, every April 22nd the world comes together to promote and take action for a clean and healthy environment. While most public events are cancelled this year due to COVID-19, here are 5 suggestions from South Carolina DHEC of things you can do to celebrate Earth Day while staying safe at home:
- Create compost pile in your back yard with leaves, pine straw, and sticks, while adding food items like eggshells, banana peels, and apple cores.
- Take time to go outside for a walk or bike ride while safely maintaining social distancing.
- Make sure you are recycling right. Now is a great time to remind yourself of the Recycling Dirty Dozen and what can be recycled
- As you stay home and limit trips to the grocery store, check out tips on food conservation with our Don’t Waste Food SC program.
- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency invites everyone to celebrate Earth Day by drawing pictures, making signs, or using recycled materials around the house to decorate your windows. Download and print activities for kids from Environmental Outreach Activity Book.
For more information and ideas, visit Make Every Day Earth Day.