It's healthy and full of color!
Who said eating healthy can’t be tasty (and pretty)? We teamed up with Charleston Wine + Food and owners of Verde, Jennifer and Sam Ferrabeee, to learn how to prepare Buddha’s Belly Bowl! It’s healthy and full of color and a collaboration with The Gut Health MD, Dr. B!
Buddha’s Belly Bowl
1/2 cup Chopped Kale
2 cups Warm Grain mixture (quinoa, lentils)
1/3 cup Roasted Broccoli
1/3 cup Roasted Chickpeas
1/3 cup Roasted Sweet Potatoes
1/4 cup Pickled Carrot + Onion Mix (recipe follows)
1/2 Avocado, sliced
- pinch Kimchi (Kenchi Ferments recommended)
TBSP Carrot-Ginger Dressing (recipe follows)
- Place kale in the bottom of the bowl and cover with warm grain mixture.
- Place each other ingredient on top grouped together.
- Finish with a drizzle of Carrot Ginger Dressing.
Carrot Ginger Dressing
2 tsp agave
2/3 c rice wine vinegar
2 tsp lime juice
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/4″ piece of ginger, peeled and pureed
1/3 c carrot pureed
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
11/3 c olive oil
- mix all ingredients except oil
- slowly add the oil in while whisking to emulsify the dressing
Picked Carrot + Onion Mix
4 oz carrots, shredded
1 yellow onion, sliced
2 TBSP salt
2 TBSP sugar
1 c white vinegar
1 c water
3 TBSP minced garlic
t tsp mustard seed
- Place carrots and onions in a jar
- Bring all remaining ingredients to a boil and pour over the carrots and onions
- Cover and allow to cool before enjoying
Charleston Wine + Food
Charleston Wine + Food is a non-profit organization that supports Charleston and the Lowcountry’s diverse culinary + hospitality community. Join the food and fun March 6 – 10, 2019 for the 14th installment of Charleston Wine + Food. Fueled by a contagious passion for the people and places that make Charleston worth celebrating, this year’s festival will feature over 100 unique culinary experiences that will fill your belly + feed your soul. For five soul-smackingly good days, Charleston will serve as the backdrop for a gathering of top chefs, winemakers, authors, storytellers, artisans, and food enthusiasts from around the globe.
Text and video created in partnership with our friends at Charleston Wine + Food