ADAMS RUN, S.C. (Lowcountry Weekend) - On May 6, the Charleston County Park and Recreation Commission (CCPRC) broke ground on renovations for the park at Wiltown Community Center.
Wiltown Community Center is a community administered recreation area providing services for families in the surrounding Adams Run area. In an effort to renovate and expand recreational facilities in this part of Charleston County, CCPRC entered into a Memorandum of Agreement with the Wiltown Community Organization to care and maintain the renovated park through 2041. The conceptual site plan was created by CCPRC through a community participation process to identify and rank park features the community considered most critical.
A steering committee comprised of CCPRC representatives and Wiltown Community Center officers guided the development and approval of the final site plan. Some of the main driving design elements for the plan were the commitment to universal accessibility and durability of park features that require minimal maintenance.
Final site plan elements for the renovations of Wiltown Community Center include:
- A colorful 3000-sq.-ft. playground with a thoughtful design to accommodate use for people of all ages, along with mix of accessible surfaces and playground features, and a sensory panel. Close to the playground will be a swinging bench and a covered picnic table.
- A 50′ x 74′ combination basketball/pickleball court with accessible pathway to the court and the adjoining grass 70′ x 183′ multi-purpose activity field.
- Major renovations to the outdoor shelter: existing bathrooms will be renovated to ADA standards; a third bathroom will be added off the catering kitchen; HVAC will be installed for the restroom and catering kitchen area; a new roof will be installed; wall height will be extended; and a new catering kitchen will be equipped with stainless steel work tables/countertops surfaces, stainless steel service carts, two sinks, a full-sized insulated heated holding/proofing cabinet, and a microwave and condiment cabinet station.
- New 10′ x 10′ grill pad area near the outdoor shelter with an ADA stainless steel grill.
- Widening and re-surfacing of the main road and adding two additional parking areas, making it safer and more accessible to the park features. The new parking areas will include accessible cement parking spaces.
- New accessible paths to the new and renovated park features: playground, outdoor shelter, grill pad area, basketball/pickleball court and activity field.
- Additional landscaping using native plantings.
Wiltown Community Center is located at 5779 Parkers Ferry Road in Adams Run, SC. The center will remain open to the public during the renovations; however, the park will close for short periods only when necessary to complete certain phases of the build. The project is expected to be completed in October 2023.
For updates on the project and the reopening timeframe, please visit CharlestonCountyParks.com
Copyright 2023 WCSC. All rights reserved.